Anxiety Disorder – Types, Symptoms, and Treatment
Nowadays, every other person feels anxious every now and then. But this a normal emotion.For eg: You might be nervous when you’re making an important decision, or before giving an exam, or you may feel nervous when you’re in any kind of problem, etc.
But an Anxiety disorder is different as it is a part of mental sickness and distress which has an adverse effect on your daily lifestyle, relationships, and social status.
There are some common external and internal factors that cause various types of anxiety disorder such as financial stress, stress at work, a side-effect of any medication, symptoms of medical illness (heart attack, Heart stroke, etc.), emotional trauma like death of loved ones, relationships stress, using drugs, phobic disorder, stress disorder, panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, etc.
If you are going through any kind of anxiety disorder you may seek some professional help.
You might have asked some questions like:
- Do you take any prescription drugs?
- Does anything which triggers your anxiety or makes it worse?
- Do you ever have a panic attack?
- When did it all start?
- What are your symptoms of anxiety and how severe are they?
- Do you have any physical or mental health conditions?
- Do you regularly drink alcohol?
- Is your anxiety feeling is occasional or regular?
However, it is important to remember that recovery is a journey and for that, you need to choose the best psychiatrist for your treatment. In India, Jaipur is famous for treating all your mental health issues. Based on my personal experience Dr. Sanjay Jain is the best psychiatrist in Jaipur. He is a highly skilled and well-qualified doctor.
He has more than 13 years of experience in the field. He had completed MD from SMS Medical College Jaipur & has done MBBS from the same college in the field of psychiatry.
Dr. Sanjay Jain is majorly involved and worked in international projects in Singapore such as Bracket Neurosciences, Pennsylvania, USA. He provides different types of services in the field of psychiatry such as Sexual problems, Anxiety, OCD, talking therapy or lifestyle changes, Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Dementia, Behavior problems in children and Old age, Anger control and many more. He is very kind and polite to his patients.
His main objective is to patients well being in order to achieve better mental health. He makes you feel comfortable in every step of your treatment with great results. People are getting results
and very well satisfied with his treatment. If you’re also suffering any kind of anxiety disorder do visit his clinic to get positive outcomes.
Various Types, Symptoms, and Causes of Anxiety Disorder
Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)
It is very normal to feel anxious from time to time, especially if you are going through a lot of stress. However, excessiveness of anything can be dangerous. Similarly, if you are dealing with worry and anxiety and difficult to control.
which also affects your day to day activities then it could be a sign of generalized anxiety disorder. This type of disorder can affect anybody if it is a child or an adult.
Some of the Major symptoms of GAD include obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), panic disorder, and other types of anxiety problems, but they all occur in different situations & conditions.
People who are suffering from GAD are facing a long term challenge. You can improve your condition by making some lifestyle changes, using relaxation techniques, learning coping skills which helps you a lot.
- Inability to set aside or let go of a worry
- Difficulty concentrating, or the feeling that your mind “goes blank”
- Difficulty handling uncertainty
- Overthinking plans and solutions to all possible worst-case outcomes
- Trouble sleeping
- Trembling, feeling twitchy
- Muscle tension or muscle aches
- Sweating, Irritability
- Nausea, diarrhea or irritable bowel syndrome
There is no particular reason why anxiety disorders occur. It is just a part of other mental illnesses. The major factors which contribute to anxiety disorders are environmental stress, heredity, work stress, etc…
When you are at unease means you are not feeling well dealing with unreasonable thoughts and fears (obsessions) that lead you to do repetitive behaviors (compulsions). The obsessive-compulsive disorder imbalances your daily routine and lead to distress. There may be times when you are trying to stop or ignore your thoughts and fears (obsessions), but this can only cause you more stress and anxiety. In other words, this repetitive behavior moving you into a vicious cycle of OCD.
- Washing and cleaning until your hands become raw
- Checking, Counting, Orderliness
- Following a strict routine, Demanding reassurances
- Checking doors repeatedly to make sure they’re locked
- Checking the stove repeatedly to make sure it’s off
- Counting in certain patterns, Silently repeating a prayer
- Arranging your canned goods to face the same way
The main cause of this type of disorder is not fully understood by researchers. If you are seeing any changes in your body (brain), genetic component or due to some environmental factors such as infections, stressful life events, other mental health disorders that trigger the symptoms of OCD.
Sometimes, you feel sudden intense fear, severe physical reactions when there is no actual cause to worry. Panic attacks can be very frightening where you might think that you’re losing control, having a heart attack or even dying.
Might be you people facing one or two panic attacks in your life and your problem may resolve in one go. But when your body is not responding in a way that it should be such as having unexpected panic attacks & continuously dealing with it, you might be suffering from panic disorder. These attacks can be frightening. Although they are not life-threatening they can affect your daily lifestyle.
- Sense of impending doom or danger
- Fear of loss of control or death
- Rapid, pounding heart rate
- Trembling or shaking
- Shortness of breath or tightness in your throat
- Hot flashes
- Abdominal cramping
- Chest pain
- Dizziness, lightheadedness or faintness
- Numbness or tingling sensation
- The feeling of unreality or detachment
Although, these attacks may come suddenly without giving any signs but there are some major factors that contribute to panic attacks such as genetics, major stress, more prone to negative emotions, certain changes in your brain functions, major life stress such as death or serious illness of loved ones, excessive smoking or caffeine intake.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder(PTSD)
This type of mental health condition occurs in a terrifying event such as the death of any loved ones. This anxiety disorder affects your daily lifestyle, relationships,etc.. Many people are facing traumatic events, they may have difficulty adjusting and coping. But giving yourself proper time and care they will get better.
- Trouble sleeping
- Trouble concentrating
- Irritability, angry outbursts or aggressive behavior
- Overwhelming guilt or shame
- Feeling detached from family and friends
- Lack of interest in activities you once enjoyed
- Difficulty experiencing positive emotions
- Feeling emotionally numb
People with all age groups can have post-traumatic stress disorder. If you are experiencing intense trauma, family & friends are not supportive, childhood physical abuse, sexual violence, accident, or extreme life-threatening events.
Social Phobia/Social Anxiety Disorder
Feeling nervous in some social situations like, if you are going on a date or giving a presentation, or writing an exam, etc..is very normal.
We, people, do daily interactions that cause anxiety, stress, fear, self-consciousness, embarrassment, low self-esteem. Social anxiety disorder is also known as a social phobia that can affect your daily routine, school, work, or other activities.
- Fear that others will notice that you look anxious
- Having anxiety in anticipation of a feared activity or event
- Enduring a social situation with intense fear or anxiety
- Fear of situations in which you may be judged
- Worrying about embarrassing or humiliating yourself
- Avoiding situations where you might be the center of attention
- Intense fear of interacting or talking with strangers
Just like other mental health conditions social anxiety disorder rises by some major risk factors such as environmental stress, heredity, family history, negative experiences, having an experience that draws attention.
Prevention & Treatment of Anxiety Disorders
Treatment of anxiety disorder is generally done by a psychiatrist who will evaluate and monitor your condition and symptoms. As I’ve said before Dr. Sanjay Jain is a famous psychiatrist in Jaipur.
He teaches a person in a different way of behaving, thinking and reacting towards anxiety & fearful situations. He is highly specialized in this field and treated patients successfully. He is a new ray of hope for his patient.
As we all know, we live in an environment where we are fully stressed out and not giving enough time to ourselves. Any kind of anxiety disorder can be treated if we just put a little bit of attention on our bodies.
These tips can help you to reduce the symptoms of anxiety.
- By having a well balanced- diet Include multivitamins, when you can’t have always the right food to eat.
- Limit alcohol, caffeine, and sugar consumption.
- Do exercise every day for at least 20 minutes.
- Avoid unnecessary activities and do what you love to do.
- Keep an anxiety journal so that you can make sure when you are anxious or less anxious.
- Don’t take any kind of stress, as it affects your daily lifestyle.
Last but not least, anxiety is a very normal emotion. But when you are suffering from an anxiety disorder then it’s high time to treat yourself by a psychiatrist expert. Studies show that biological, social, and psychological factors contribute to anxiety disorders.
I think the above information will clear all your doubts regarding anxiety disorder, types and symptoms and treatment and I hope this article would be helpful for you and brings new hope towards life