Printer Driver error is becoming a great concern for users of various printers. This problem does not let the printer carry on its printing task and all your work come to a halt. Therefore, it is of importance to know the reasons behind such an error and the proper ways of fixing it. Printer Driver error states that the Printer Driver installed on your PC is either incompatible or outdated. Sometimes malware or virus enter the Operating System and corrupt the Printer Driver files.
As a result, the computer fails to recognize the Printer Driver and Windows display a printer error. Moreover, the Printer Driver error might occur if it is configured or installed incorrectly on your PC. Last but not least, an incorrect entry of the Printer Driver in Windows Registry might make the Printer Driver unrecognizable. It is a common issue in the printing world and here are the solutions for how to fix a Printer Driver error in no time.
Check out How to Fix a Printer Driver Error with Simple Steps
Take a look at the possible ways of getting rid of this issue.
Solution 1: Run System File Checker
This inbuilt tool of Windows will remove the Printer Driver error if it is arising due to corrupted Printer Driver files. So, follow these steps to run this tool and fix the error.
- Go to the Start button, type ‘cmd’ in the search box and press ‘Enter.’
- Select Command Prompt(Admin) from the list of available options to open a Command Prompt window.
- Now type ‘sfc/scannow’ in the Command Prompt and press ‘Enter’ to launch the System File Checker.
- Do not close the Command Prompt window until the tool scan your PC and repair the corrupted files.
- You will receive a confirmation message when the tool has completed the scanning task.
- Then, restart the system and connect the problematic printer through cable or wirelessly to the PC.
- Check whether the PC can recognize the Printer Driver or not. If not, then move on to the next solution.
Solution 2: Update or Reinstall Printer Driver
If the above solution fails, then you will need to update the Printer Driver manually from the manufacturer’s website. After that, disable Windows update from updating the Printer Driver automatically.
Before downloading the Printer Driver, ensure that it is specifically meant for your printer. Now, follow the steps given below to download the correct driver for your printer.
- Press Windows logo key and ‘R’ at the same time to open the Run application.
- Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the Run application and click ‘OK’ to launch the Device Manager.
- Expand the ‘Hardware’ section and click on ‘Print Queues’. Then, from the sub-menu find your printer.
- Right-click on it and select the ‘Update Driver’ option.
- Windows will display a popup asking you to select the way you want to update the Printer Driver.
- Select ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ to select the driver manually.
- Select the folder where you have downloaded the driver file and select it.
- Tap the ‘Browse’ button and let the PC install the latest version of the Printer Driver.
- When the driver is updated, restart the PC to ensure that the problem is resolved.
Note: If your Printer Driver is not visible in Device Manager, then run the installer to let the PC install the driver automatically Brother HL 1201 Driver
Solution 3: Uninstall and Reinstall the Printer
- Before beginning with this process, turn of the printer and unplug it from the computer as well as the power outlet.
- If the printer is connected through a router, then disconnect it from the router as well.
- Turn on your PC and press Windows key and ‘R’ simultaneously to open the Run dialog box.
- Type ‘Control Panel’ in the search bar and press ‘Enter’ to access the Control Panel.
- Windows 10 users can right-click on the ‘Start’ menu and open Control Panel directly.
- On the Control Panel window, go to the ‘View’ tab and select ‘Large icons.’
- Now click ‘Devices and printers’ and you will find a list of all the available printers.
- Right-click on the problematic printer and select the ‘Remove device’ option.
- Go back to the Run application and enter ‘devmgmt.msc’ in it to open the Device Manager.
- Navigate to the ‘Print Queues’ section, right-click the particular printer and select the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- After that, open another Run application, type ‘appwiz.cpl’ in it and press ‘Enter.’
- From the list of applications installed on your PC, select your printer and choose ‘Uninstall Device.’
- Wait until the printer is uninstalled from your PC and then restart the system.
- Connect the printer to your PC and turn on the printer.
- Let the computer recognize the printer and install a compatible driver for it.
Solution 4: Install Windows Updates
We have explained the process for Windows 10 and Windows 7 users separately.
On Windows 10 PC
- Click the Start menu, type ‘update’ in the search bar and press ‘Enter.’
- Then, select ‘Check for Updates’ from the list of search results and let Windows install its pending updates automatically.
- After installing the updates, restart the system and check whether it can detect the printer or not.
On Windows 7 PC
- Go to the Start button, type ‘Update’ in the search bar and press ‘Enter.’
- Then, click ‘Check for updates’ and select ‘Install updates’ option.
- Wait until Windows download and install its pending updates and then restart the PC.
- Make sure that the PC can recognize the printer.
- Then, take a test printout to ensure that the printer is printing.
- Active Directory Domain Services Is Currently Unavailable Printer Error
Hope, you will find these solutions useful and fix the Printer Driver error successfully.